Green Power Alternatives
The energy related exhibits at the Great Peninsula Future Festival are intended to demonstrate that by making a few simple changes in your habits it is possible to save large amounts of money. In addition, the exhibits will update you on the current status of viable alternative renewable energy projects that will eventually serve the Northwest.
A few of the many habit changes presented for you to consider and the resulting expected percentage reduction in your energy demand and the associated dollar savings for you to enjoy every year will include:
- Replacing incandescent light bulbs in your home with CFL bulbs (reduction in energy demand 65% for an annual dollar savings of $155)
- Driving within the posted speed limits (reduction in gasoline used 20% for an annual dollar savings of $960)
- Installing low flow shower heads to reduce the amount of hot water heated (reduction in water heating costs 50% for an annual savings of $300)
- Routine car maintenance to include as a minimum frequent installation of new clean air filters and regular correction of under inflated tires (reduction in gasoline usage 13% for an annual savings of $500)
- Replacing the existing thermostats in your home with programmable units in order to control heat to match your life schedule (average reduction in heating costs per year is 20% for an estimated savings of $600).
The goal of the energy exhibits is to help you understand how you can save money and with the aid of new alternative renewable energy technologies how you can help to save the planet. Check back for more information on exhibits and information about renewable energy alternatives that will be on display at the Great Peninsula Future Festival.
Here are some of the presentations we featured at the 2009 Black Bear Exchange forum:
Check back for the 2010 presentations and discussions.
"Spin Your Meter Backwards This comprehensive program will cover all aspects of putting solar power to work in your home."
"Solar Water Heating Learn how the sun’s energy can heat the water in your home."
"Passive Solar Homes for the NW A guide to true sustainability starting with energy conservation."
"Kitsap SEED Program where yesterday’s alternatives are becoming today’s better solutions - Championing sustainable practices and technologies in site and building design, while promoting sustainable business through collaboration and resource sharing."
"Energy Conversion and Conservation An electrifying conversation about energy, alternative energy solutions, buying green, energy credits, wind turbines, weatherization, conservation and electric cars. State Representative Larry Seaquist, Bainbridge City Councilwoman Hilary Franz, Rich Rudman (electric car battery producer Manzanita Micro) and a representative from Puget Sound Energy."
Vendors Specializing in this area
3Degrees/PSEs Green Power Program
www.pse.com/greenpower - Booth 111: We will be sharing information on PSE's Green Power Program. Residents can buy renewable energy equal to the amount that they use at home to help ensure a more beautiful, healthier Washington for future generations.
Sun Wind Concepts
www.sunwindconcepts.us - Sun Wind Concepts installs solar photovoltaic systems, solar hot water systems and small wind.
Power Trip Energy
West Seattle Natural Energy, LLC
Puget Sound Energy
pse.com - Get personalized advice from a PSE Energy Advisor on how to save energy at home.